The Certosa di Pontignano
Siena is the capital of the province of Siena in Tuscany. It is world-wide known for its
amazingly well preserved medieval downtown declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site, its gorgeous architecture and its lively cultural
The city is also famous for the legendary Palio, a medieval horse race that takes place twice a year in July and August around the beautiful and buzzing
main square - the
Piazza del Campo.
Around the city, one can enjoy stunning Tuscanian landscapes such as the hills of the Chianti and discover the
amazing architecture and artwork and the rich history of the region, not to forget the cuisine.
Siena is only one hour and a half far by train from the renaissance Tuscany capital Florence, and three hours far from the Cinque Terre.
Where to stay in Siena?For those who wish extend their stay in Siena and enjoy Tuscany, we suggest, beyond the Certosa which is likely to be full in October but not in November, the following addresses:
- Hotel Modermo: located in the city centre
- NH Hotel: located in the city centre
- Tenuta Di Monaciano: located at a walking distance from the Certosa di Pontignano.
How to reach the Certosa?
The closest airports to Siena are Florence airport (A. Vespucci, 85 km), Pisa airport (G. Galilei, 130 km) and Roma airport (Fiumicino airport Leonardo da Vinci, 260 km). Departing from these cities, Siena can be reached either by train or by bus. Train schedules and tickets can be found on Trenitalia website. For more details about the connections, please check this link.
The Certosa di Pontignano is located 8 km from Siena railway station. It can be reached by:
- Taxi: the phone number of the radio taxi is: +39 (0)577 49222. The fare of a taxi transfer from Siena train station to the Certosa is 20€ (fixed price).
- The urban bus: bus number (34) departs from Piazza Gramsci to Pontignano. The ticket costs around 2€. Please note that there are few daily trips. The bus timetable can be found here.